Express Yourself with Confidence in English
The goal of English Now!’s English for Workplace Communication courses is to help professionals from a variety of fields feel more confident using English in their professional lives. Adjusting to a new workplace in the United States can be challenging, even for native speakers of English. For non-native speakers, even after years of studying English, it can be very difficult to communicate effectively in a professional environment. We provide students with the coaching and practice they need to speak and understand English in typical workplace situations, from the conference room to the break room. Special attention is given to participating in meetings, including asking and answering questions, agreeing and disagreeing, and delivering presentations. Students will learn useful expressions and gain the skills they need to have more fulfilling interactions with their colleagues. Our maximum class size for these classes is six students, and many will be taught as private- and semi-private lessons, so our teachers are able to personalize instruction to meet the needs of each individual student.
Course Objectives. Students in English for Workplace Communication courses will gain practice in the following areas:
- Asking for clarification, making suggestions, and interjecting appropriately during a meeting
- Agreeing and disagreeing in the course of a conversation
- Designing and delivering presentations with your audience in mind
- Preparing for and responding to questions about your presentation
- Clarifying information that you do not understand during a presentation or meeting
Level of English Proficiency. English for Workplace Communication classes are for students from High intermediate to Advanced levels. New students are placed in an appropriate class based on a written and oral assessment.
Curriculum. A wide variety of texts and materials are available to instructors working with students in our English for Workplace Communication courses. Instructors may draw on material from Communication in Business, Keynote Series (based on TED talks), Targeting Pronunciation, and Professional Interactions in English. In addition, classes will discuss current news stories related to students’ interests. Each teacher will assess the goals and language level of a particular group before selecting materials. Classes will focus on improving conversational ability while emphasizing listening comprehension skills, vocabulary development, common idiom usage, and practice in pronunciation and intonation.
Homework. English for Workplace Communication students at English Now! are encouraged to complete all homework assigned by their teachers in order to enhance progress in learning English. Homework may include short assignments in reading, writing, listening comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary development, as well as preparation for oral communications activities in class.
Schedules and Duration of Study. English for Workplace Communication classes meet once a week on Wednesday or Saturday mornings, or enroll in both group classes for a twice-weekly schedule. Private lessons are of course more flexible. We recommend at least two to three months of instruction for progress in English to be observable. We can generally accommodate students who have business travel commitments or take vacations—ask about our attendance policy.
Offsite Options. English Now! can customize an English for Workplace Communication course at your place of business. Ask us about our experiences teaching offsite: English Now! is pleased to offer a course for medical researchers through the Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES), on the campus of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda and has taught programs with international development consulting firms, biotech firms, and embassies.
Special Activities Available at English Now!
All students are invited to participate in the following activities, as their schedules permit:
- Friday Outings to a wide variety of places of interest in and around Washington D.C., led by an English Now! teacher or staff member – please bring your family!
- Lunchtime Talks presented monthly by members of our staff or bringing together students to present on topics related to travel or life in the U.S., as well as American history or significant holidays
- Potluck Lunches, held on one Thursday a month, which feature international dishes made by faculty, staff, and students
- Office Hours to discuss professional goals, volunteering in the community, or K-12 education in the U.S.
How is English Now! Unique? English Now! has served students from the diplomatic, business, health care, and other professional communities from its location in downtown Bethesda for decades. Our small class size makes us uniquely focused on personalization of curriculum and teaching to the specific needs of students. Our purpose – to inspire students to engage, enjoy, and thrive, in their studies and during their time in the U.S.—is aligned with the needs of high-level professional students. We do more than teach English—we provide the support you need to communicate successfully in the global workplace.
Course Schedule, Tuition & Registration
Options include the following:
- Wednesday morning English for Workplace Communication workshops enroll a maximum of six students, meeting from 9:30am until 12:15pm for six weeks for $330 tuition. Start any time.
- Saturday morning English for Workplace Communication group classes enroll a maximum of six students, meeting from 9:30 until 11:45am for eight weeks for $360 tuition. Class breaks from 10:15-10:30am for informal social and networking time with students in your and other classes. Start any time.
- Join both Wednesday and Saturday, for twice-weekly group classes meeting for eight weeks in 16 sessions for $640 tuition. Start any time.
- Semi-private lessons enroll two or three students with similar needs, levels, and schedules, in 16, 90-minute sessions. Do you have a colleague that might be interested? For a semi-private lesson, tuition is $672 for 16 sessions.
- Private lessons using this curriculum and approach to instruction may be scheduled at dates and times at your convenience. Consider a 16-session program or another schedule. For private lessons, tuition is $40 per class hour, plus registration fee.
All students pay a $40, one-time registration fee. Books and materials are extra and usually between $30 and $40.
For more information, or to register for the Effective Workplace Communications course, please visit us or contact us! Let us know if your manager or HR department colleagues need additional information. We have worked with many companies and are glad to provide whatever documentation is necessary, and to interface with companies’ HR and finance staff to support your registration.